Coming off the back of an uplifting and hard-fought defeat to Class A favorite Falmouth just a few days earlier, the Cape Elizabeth Capers were looking to gain momentum against one of Class B's remaining undefeated teams. Yet despite carrying the play for long stretches of the contest, the Capers would fall in frustrating fashion in front of a full house at Portland Ice Arena on Saturday night.

A sleepy start was again the undoing of the Capers, as Kennebunk was able to jump on the hosts on the first shift of the night. After several failed clearing attempts by the Capers, Kyle Mooney was able to score on a rebound as the Capers allowed a second chance opportunity after goaltender Ross Leblond had kept out James Ross' initial chance. The goal came just 1:10 into the first period.

The Capers would level the score off of a face-off when Ben Shea banged a rebound past Kennebunk keeper Mike Leblanc. Ben Ekedahl and Matt Riggle would receive assists on the play. The goal was Shea's first of the regular season and the assist gives Ekedahl a team-leading eight on the year.

Ekedahl would have a chance to give the Capers the lead late in the third period, when his blazing speed sent him in alone on Leblanc on a shorthanded attempt, only to be thwarted on the breakaway. As fate would have it, Kennebunk would score later on the power play as Ross would again find the scoresheet. A shot from the right point found its way through traffic and between the legs of Leblond, giving Kennebunk the lead with 3:15 remaining. 

The Capers would have several chances to equalize late, only to see Leblanc play the hero for the visitors. Leblanc made 24 saves in the victory. Leblond turned aside 30 shots for the Capers, who have now lost three consecutive games. 

Cape Elizabeth went 0-for-4 on the power play. Kennebunk went 1-for-4. The two teams meet again on January 28th at the University of New England at 8:00. The Capers are next in action when they host high-flying Edward Little on Saturday, January 3rd. The game features a match-up of the Class A and Class B state champions for 2003. The schools have a combined six state championships in the past 15 years, The Capers first game of 2015 starts at 8:00 p.m. 

When the Falmouth Yachtsmen visited Portland Ice Arena on Tuesday to take on the Cape Elizabeth Capers, one would be forgiven for expecting a lopsided contest. The Yachtsmen, after all, were 4-0-0, had outscored their opponents 38-1, and were coming off a 6-1 thrashing of Class A East favorite St. Dom's. The Capers had other ideas, however, and pushed the two-time defending Class A state champions to the brink before eventually falling by a final score of 3-2.

Falmouth would open the scoring at 3:32 of the first period when Brandon Peters banged a rebound past Grant Rusk on a frantic goalmouth scramble. Chris Camelio and Jack Mainella would receive assists on the play. Despite being outshot 20-3 in the first, the Capers had perhaps the best chance of the first frame when Curtis Guimond would  ring one off the crossbar after beating Bonnvie to his glove side.

The Capers would strike back with just under five minutes to go in the first, with Jack Drinan rolling off the right wall and firing a shot past Ryan Bonnvie to score his first goal of the season. Guimond would pick up an assist on the play on the power play tally.

Falmouth would score the lone marker of the second period, with Noah Nagem striking off a face-off to edge the Yachtsmen out in front. Reece Armitage would pick up the only assist on the play. 

The Yachtsmen looked to have sealed a victory as they begun to turn the tables early in the third. Chris Camelio would finish off another frenzy in front of Capers goaltender Grant Rusk, pushing his side to a 3-1 lead and giving Falmouth the breathing room they craved. 

Just when the game seemed to be in Falmouth's control, Guimond struck back after excellent forechecking pressure from the Capers. After an extended cycle deep in the Falmouth zone, Drinan found Guimond in the slot and he was able to find space through a sea of humanity to tickle the twine behind Bonnvie. It was Guimond's 7th goal of the season. 

With just under five minutes to go, Henry Norris was would be ejected for butt-ending and put the Capers on the power play for the remainder of the game. Despite several chances at the beginning of the power play, the Capers failed to seize their opportunity to send the game to overtime and final scoreline would end at 3-2. The Capers were the first team to score more than once on Falmouth in the young season, giving the juggernaut their toughest test since the Class A state championship game last spring.

Grant Rusk made 33 saves in defeat. The Capers (3-3-0) went 1-3 on the power play and did not take a penalty in the game.

Cape Elizabeth will be back in action on Saturday, December 27th as they host Kennebunk (5-0-0) at Portland Ice Arena. Game time is 8:00 p.m.
The Cape Elizabeth Capers, who had won their first three Class B games on the young season, knew they had a stern test when visiting the Gorham Rams at the University of Southern Maine Ice Arena on Saturday night. The Capers would get off on the wrong foot and never recover, taking their second loss of the young season at the hands of the defending Class B West champions, 6-3.

The Rams came out flying, outshooting the Capers 15-6 in the first period. Gorham would draw first blood just 2:35 into the contest, as Matt Chapin was allowed to walk in and fire a wrist shot past Capers goalie Ross Leblond. Carl Bear would stretch the Gorham lead to 2-0 at the 7:56 mark after he would slip a wrist shot just under the crossbar. Jordan Ward and Willie Baxter would receive assists on the goal.

All was not lost for the Capers, as Tom Gleason would pull his side within one just before the first interval. Gleason picked up a puck at the top of the right circle, cut across the slot and buried a wrist shot past Gorham keeper Noah Bird. It was Gleason's second goal of the season.

After Gorham stretched their advantage to 3-1 at the 6:18 mark of the second, Gleason would play his part in another goal--this time setting up Curtis Guimond's sixth of the season. Gleason, streaking down the left wing, threw a shot towards the crease which Guimond was able to redirect past Bird, slowly trickling over the goal line and pulling Cape Elizabeth within striking distance.

They would come no closer, however, as the Rams struck quickly to end the second period. Carter Landry would extend the hosts' lead to 4-2 with 4:51 remaining in the period and Jordan Ward would finish the second period scoring with just 1:36 to go, depositing a brilliant feed from Andrew Schmidt for the power play tally.

Cape Elizabeth came out firing in the third, outshooting Gorham 15-7. Bird turned aside several quality chances, including a Jack Drinan breakway, to keep his side comfortably in the lead. The Capers would pull one back, with Matt Riggle continuing his torrid start by notching his fifth goal of the season. Ben Ekedahl would receive his team-leading seventh assist on the play. 

Matt Hooker would salt the game away with an empty-net goal with one second remaining in the third and Leblond on the bench. The win puts Gorham at 4-1-0 on the young season as they outshot the Capers 32-31. 

Cape Elizabeth falls to 3-2-0 in defeat. The Capers went 0-for-1 on the power play, while Gorham was 1-for-1. Leblond stopped 26 of 31 in the defeat. 

The Capers are back in action on Tuesday, December 22nd as they take on defending Class A state champion Falmouth at 6:00 at Portland Ice Arena.

Photos from the Capers 6-3 defeat to Gorham can be found by clicking here. 

The Cape Elizabeth Capers continued a solid run of form to begin the 2015 campaign with a convincing win over visiting Marancook (1-3-o) by a final score of 7-3. 

The Capers would start slow, with goaltender Ross Leblond knocking aside the only two shots he would face on the evening after the Capers original starter Grant Rusk was substituted to fix an equipment issue. The Black Bears, who graduated all but five goals from last season, got off to a spirited start, buzzing around the Cape Elizabeth net. 

Both goaltenders would hold firm through opening stages until Ben Ekedahl got Cape Elizabeth on the board 6:17 into the first period. Ekedahl drove down the right wing and slipped a backhander between goaltender Eli Bulba's legs to notch his first tally of the season. Ethan Gillespie would record his first varsity point on the play, picking up the primary assist. Jeb Boeschenstein would add an assist as well.

The Capers began to take control of the contest at the 8:56 mark, when Matt Riggle continued his strong start by walking out of the corner and burying a backhander past Bulba for his third of the season. Linemates Ben Shea and Ekedahl would receive assists on the play. The Capers would round out first period scoring when Alex Glidden would slam home a wrist shot from the slot for his first varsity goal, stretching the Cape lead to 5-0.

The Capers came out of the interval and picked up right where they had left off. Riggle would stretch the lead to 4-0 with his second goal of the evening, bringing his early-season total to four. Ekedahl and Shea would again receive assists. Curtis Guimond would then get in on the act, burying his fifth of the young season on a scrum in front of Bulba and pushing the Cape lead to 5-0. Linemates Tom Gleason and Jack Drinan would receive assists. 

The Black Bears would not go quietly, however. Matt Dubois would score a trickling goal on a rebound at the 8:20 mark as the puck rolled by Rusk through a sea of legs to cut the deficit to 5-1. Shortly after, Bailey Clark, who assisted Dubois' goal, would add a goal of his own on a laser from inside the blue line at the 11:11 mark of the second. The score would remain 5-2 after two frames.

Cape Elizabeth would squelch any hope of a comeback early in the third period. Just :48 into the third, defenseman Peyton Weatherbie would add his second goal of the year, burying a Guimond rebound on the back post after joining the rush from the back end. Drinan would pick up the second assist on the goal. With 5:02 to play, Ekedahl would finish the scoring for Cape Elizabeth for his second of the night, with Drinan adding his fourth assist of the evening on the play. 

At the 8:51 mark, Peter Prescott would add the final goal of the evening on the power play. Clark would receive an assist for his third point of the evening. After a failed clearance, Maranacook was able to gather the puck and convert their only man advantage of the evening. Maranacook would come no closer, however, and the Capers would skate away with a 7-3 victory.

Grant Rusk made 12 saves in the win. Ben Ekedahl now has 8 points in 4 games, including 6 assists, to lead the Capers in scoring and was +4 for the evening. Cape Elizabeth put 32 shots on goal in the victory, outshooting the Black Bears 32-17 on the night. The Capers improve to 3-1-0 with the win. They will face defending Class B West champion Gorham on Saturday, December 20th at USM in Gorham. Opening face-off is at 6:00 p.m.

After having their first game of the year cancelled, the Cape Elizabeth junior varsity team had to wait a little longer than they would have liked to play their season opener. The Capers would make it worth the wait as they dispatched Massabesic/Bonny Eagle to improve to 1-0-0 on the year at Cross Insurance Arena on Monday.

Goals from Sean Agrodnia (2), Carter Brock, Hans Croft, Jesse Eubanks, Alex Narvaez, Gavin Spidle, and Max Woods lead a well-balanced Cape Elizabeth attack. Peter Haber made 10 saves in the winning effort. 

The junior varsity team will be back in action on December 27th at 2:00 p.m. when they take on Falmouth JV at Cross Insurance Arena. 
Coming into the 2014-2015 season, the Cape Elizabeth Capers wanted a challenging Class A schedule to better help them prepare for the rigors of Class B. Their first challenge proved to be a fruitless one, as the Capers were handed their first loss of the season at the hands of Cheverus on Saturday night at Portland Ice Arena, 5-2. 

The Capers would face adversity in the opening moments of the game. Just under 3 minutes in, Peyton Weatherbie was handed a five-minute major for hitting from behind, putting Cheverus' dangerous power play to work for the majority of the first period. The Capers, behind courageous defending and stalwart goaltending from Ross Leblond, would escape the penalty kill unharmed. Then, with just 4:40 to play in the frame, Curtis Guimond came streaking down right right wing and fired a shot over Cheverus goaltender Kyle Severance to give his side a 1-0 advantage.

The lead would remain 1-0 into the second period until James Kane levelled the score for the Stags at the 5:03 mark on their 36th shot of the game. Cheverus would score again with 3:39 to play in the second, giving Cheverus a 2-1 lead heading into the second intermission on a James Hannigan goal.

Cape Elizabeth began to show signs of wear in the third, as their tired legs chased a tying goal. Matt O'Leary would break Caper hearts at the 6:31 mark, as the Stags converted for the first time on the power play and extended their lead to 3-1. The Stags would put the Capers to the sword just :32 later when Quinton Farr  fired a shot home from the right point to stretch the advantage to an insurmountable 4-1. 

Cape Elizabeth coach Matt Buotte would call a timeout after the 4th Cheverus goal. The Capers came out of the break with more tenacity, but were unable to score until just inside of two minutes remaining. Tom Gleason would bury a rebound past Severance to cut the deficit to 4-2. It was Gleason's first career varsity goal. Peyton Weatherbie would add an assist on the play for his third point in as many games.

The Capers would pull Leblond, who made 49 saves in the losing effort, with a minute and a half remaining. The Capers generated a brief attack before James Hannigan scored his second goal of the night into an empty net to round out the scoring. 

The Capers fell to 2-1-0 with the loss, while Cheverus improved on their hot start at 3-0-0. Cheverus has also picked up wins over Lewiston and South Portland in the young season. The Stags went 1-for-5 on the power play, while Cape Elizabeth sputtered at 0-for-3. The Stags held a 54-20 shots on goal advantage. The Capers are back in action on Thursday, December 18th when they face Maranacook at Portland Ice Arena. Puck drops at 6:00 p.m.

Read more on this game in The Forecaster by clicking here. 

For Stephanie Drinan's photo chronicles on the game, click here.

Three-hundred and sixty-four days ago, a young and inexperienced Cape Elizabeth team had gone down to the Dover (NH) Ice Arena  to take on the York Wildcats. They played well, entering the third period with a 2-0 lead. They squandered the lead and eventually lost in the waning minutes, 3-2. What a difference a year makes.

Backed by stellar goaltending, timely goals, and a desperate finish, the Capers hung on for a crucial 3-1 victory south of the border on Wednesday night to improve to 2-0-0 on the young season. 

The Capers started the game slow as York, in their season opener after their original debut was postponed to snow, came out flying. York would outshoot the Capers 12-4 in the first frame but found themselves down 2-0 after one period of play. Matt Riggle continued his strong start by burying a rebound on the doorstep with York goaltender Eric Lindbolm sprawling to give the Capers the early lead they desired. Ben Ekedahl picked up the lone assist on the play. 

The Capers would double their lead with just 1:15 to play in the first. After a relentless cycle in the York zone, Riggle would find pinching defenseman Jeb Boeschenstein streaking through the slot, who collected the feed and calmly unleashed a laser that rattled the underside of the crossbar and fell into the net behind Lindbolm. It was the first career goal for Boeschenstein and proved to be a pivotal tally for Cape Elizabeth.

York would answer just :27 into the second period when senior forward Derek Neal, coming off a 42-goal season, buried his first of the year, streaking in and tucking one between Cape Elizabeth goaltender Grant Rusk's legs and cutting the deficit to 2-1. York would draw no closer, however, as Rusk made save after save throughout the remainder of the second period to keep his team in front.

Curtis Guimond would then stretch the lead for visitors, walking off the right half-wall and firing a shot from the top of the circles past Lindbolm with 2:55 to play in the middle frame. The goal was Guimond's third in the first two games and came unassisted on Cape's second power play of the evening. 

York would respond in the third period as the Capers began to tire. York would outshoot Cape Elizabeth 11-4 in the final frame, despite Cape Elizabeth having three power plays in the third period. The best chance for York would come shorthanded with just minutes to go, as the powerful Neal came in on Rusk all alone, only to be turned aside again. The Wildcats would apply immense pressure late, but desperate defending from the Capers saw them cling to a 3-1 advantage to get their first road win of the young season.

York outshot Cape Elizabeth 33-24. Rusk turned aside 32 shots in the win, as he improved to 2-0 in his career against the Wildcats. Ekedahl now has four assists in his first two games. Cape Elizabeth went 1-for-5 on the power play and killed off the only penalty they took--a tripping call to Riggle late in the third. 

Next up for Cape Elizabeth is a formidable test against the Cheverus Stags, their first Class A opposition of the year. Cheverus toppled perennial contenders Lewiston in overtime on opening night. The puck drops at 6:00 p.m. on Saturday, December 13th. The game will be played at both teams' home rink, Portland Ice Arena. Cheverus will be the home team in this fixture for the second straight season.

For more on Cape's victory over York, head to Seacoast Online for a full game recap.

The Cape Elizabeth Capers got off to an impressive start on Saturday night as they hosted an old Class B rival, Gardiner, at Portland Ice Arena.

The Capers were looking for a fast start to the season in 2015 after starting their 2013-2014 campaign at 0-5-1, and the club got off to the races in exactly the manner they had hoped. The Capers outshot the Tigers 20-8 in the first period, with each of Cape Elizabeth's top three lines hemming Gardiner in with unrelenting pressure. Gardiner goaltender Michael Poirier was fantastic throughout the game, standing especially tall in the first period as his team fell under attack, turning aside 19 shots in the first period alone.

The Capers would draw first blood, however, after going on the man advantage early in the first. Matt Riggle would score the season's first goal, slamming home a goal-mouth scramble after Peyton Weatherbie had put the puck to the front of the net. Ben Ekedahl would also add an assist on the play.

The score would remain 1-0 through the end of the first period, but Cape Elizabeth all but put things out of reach with a barrage of goals to start the 2nd frame. Curtis Guimond would score his first of the season on a broken play, sliding the puck through Poirier's legs and stretching the Cape lead to 2-0. 

Guimond would be penalized for unsportsmanlike conduct after the play, which only set the stage for Peyton Weatherbie to score his first career goal with his side a man down. Ben Shea slid the puck through the neutral zone to a streaking Ben Ekedahl, who sent the puck to Weatherbie on the back door to finish off a nifty 2-on-1 rush and spring the Capers to a 3-0 advantage. It was the Capers first shorthanded goal of the year after failing to register a single shorthanded tally in 19 games last season.

Guimond would finish the Cape Elizabeth scoring by taking a Jack Drinan feed, beating a defender, and sliding a back-handed shot just under the crossbar with 11:42 to go in the 2nd period. It was Guimond's second of the night and was the third goal for the Capers in a 2:27 span. 

Gardiner would scratch one back at 5:41 of the 2nd period after Tristian Hebert converted a goalmouth scramble, leaving the game 4-1 after two frames. It looked as though Cape Elizabeth had struck again late in the third, when Alex Glidden fired home what appeared to be his first career goal, only to see the goal called back when the referee blew the whistle before the puck crossed the line. Cam Bigelow rounded out the scoring with :28 remaining on another goalmouth scramble, but it proved merely a consolation goal as the Capers skated away with a 4-2 victory.

Ross Leblond stopped 13 of 15 shots for his first career victory. Poirier stopped 40 of 44 in the losing effort for the Tigers. Cape Elizabeth went 1-for-5 on the man advantage while killing all three Gardiner power plays. The Capers will be back in action when they take on York (0-0-0) on Wednesday, December 10th at Dover Ice Arena in Dover, NH at 6:00.

The annual Cape Elizabeth Boys Ice Hockey Christmas tree pick-up is scheduled for Sunday, January 4th.  You may also email Jen and Harold Caswell for more information or to sign up to have your tree disposed of, hassle free! Capers hockey thanks you in advance and wish you a safe and happy holidays!
In what was the only run-out for the Cape Elizabeth varsity team before their regular season opener this weekend, the Capers took to the road to take on Hebron Academy's Varsity B team at Robinson Arena in Hebron on Wednesday.

The game figured to be a stern test for the Capers, who are looking to get off to a fast start after beginning the 2013-2014 campaign at 0-5-1. Hebron's Varsity B fared well against Maine high school teams last term, beating state champion Falmouth and East finalists St. Dom's twice. 

Hebron got off to a fast start as the Capers found their legs, testing starting goalie Ross Leblond early and often. The Capers held the fort well, with the best chances in the first period coming from a Jack Drinan breakaway and Curtis Guimond attempt in close. The Capers escaped the first period at 0-0, despite being outshot 8-2. 

The tides turned in the second period as the Capers came out firing. The Capers top three lines put heavy pressure on a young Hebron defense, outshooting the Lumberjacks 16-9 in the frame. Cape would draw first blood when Ben Shea continued his torrid goal scoring pace, finding the top corner from the slot and giving his side the lead at 1-0. Peyton Weatherbie would add the lone assist on the goal.

The hosts would level the score at 1  with just 3.6 seconds remaining in the second period when Todd Williams would fire home Mitch Spurr's feed past freshman goaltender Peter Haber. Spurr found Williams in the high slot, who one-timed the shot home to tie the game and give the Lumberjacks a much-needed boost. Haber would turn aside 8 of the 9 shots he faced in his first varsity outing.

Hebron would take the lead early in the third period, when Cohen MacPherson's shot from the point saw it's way through a sea of legs and past goaltender Grant Rusk, the third Capers goalie of the evening. The Lumberjacks would finish the job at the midway point of the third after Peyton Weatherbie and Guimond took simultaneous high-sticking and tripping penalties respectively. The Capers almost killed the entire 5-on-3, but with :13 remaining in the penalties Matt Cerretani finished off a goal-mouth scramble to give Hebron a 3-1 lead they would not relinquish. Danny Lassman turned as 23 of the 24 shots he faced for Hebron Varsity B.

Rusk stopped 12 of 14 shots in the third period. The Capers went 0-for-3 on the power play in the loss, registering a single shot with the man advantage. It was an encouraging pre-season performance from the Capers, who looked sharp and controlled long stretches of the game. They will be looking to bounce back on Saturday, December 6th at 6:10 p.m. as they host Gardiner (0-0-0) at Portland Ice Arena.