With the threat of snow looming over the weekend, the Cape Elizabeth/Scarborough varsity game--scheduled for Friday, December 22nd at 5:05 p.m.--has been postponed, nearly 30 hours before puck drop. The rescheduled game will be played on Tuesday, January 2nd at 8:30 p.m. The game has been moved from the Colisee in Lewiston to USM Ice Arena in Gorham.

The teams have not met since February of 2016, which saw the Red Storm beat Cape Elizabeth 5-2. 
Exhale--it's over.

The Cape Elizabeth Capers and Greely Rangers played out one of the most enthralling encounters in recent memory on Saturday night in front of a packed house at Family Ice Center in Falmouth. In stark contrast to recent encounters between the two sides, caution was thrown to the wind in a 9-goal thriller that was not determined until 2:00 into overtime, when Alex Glidden slid home a cross-crease feed from Ryan Collins to give the Capers their third consecutive win to start the regular season.

The Capers started fast, with Alex Glidden opening the scoring just 3:44 into the contest. After a battle in the corner, Glidden emerged with the puck and lifted a backhand over Greely goaltender Kouston Bourgoine for his fifth goal of the season and a fast 1-0 advantage for the visitors.

Greely, playing their first game of the season after a Tuesday snow-out, would answer quickly. Just over 3 minutes later center Jake McDonald would bury a Matt Kramlich feed past Capers goalie Peter Haber to knot the score at 1. The power play goal was the first the Capers had allowed in the 2017-18 season. The same combination would click again just under 4 minutes later, with Kramlich dancing through the Cape defence before MacDonald swept the rebound past Haber to push the Rangers in front by a 2-1 margin after the first period.

The teams would trade chances throughout the second period before the Rangers doubled their lead, this time with forward Andy Moore depositing a Peter Lattanzi pass with just over 6 minutes to go in the middle frame. Matt Dubbert would pick up the secondary assist on the play.

The Capers seemed down and out as time ticked away in the second period before the visiting side showed signs of life. Alex Glidden would notch his second goal of the night with 3:44 to play in the second. After a face-off win, defenseman Derek Allen forced a shot through the Greely defense, with Glidden waiting to bang in the rebound and cut the lead to 3-2.

It had already been a whirlwind 30 minutes of hockey--but the final 15 would prove to be some of the most memorable in recent Cape/Greely history. With 10:15 to play, Cape's Jack-Roy Becker and Greely's Owen O'Connoll became entangled after a whistle, with shoving ensuing and a crowd gathering. Both received matching penalties for roughing, with Cape's Gus Frankwicz taking an additional twelve minutes in penalties for unsportsmanlike conduct. In the aftermath the rivalry jolted back into action, harkening back to the memorable Cape Elizabeth and Greely encounters from the mid-2000s.

Cape Elizabeth killed off the ensuing power play and then turned the momentum back on their side. After Jackson Woods made a fantastic breakout pass, Matt Laughlin streaked down the wing before pulling up and whipping a pass to senior forward Sean Agrodnia, who quickly redirected the feed through Bourgoine's legs and tied the score at 3. Not to be out done, Glidden would complete his hat trick just :23 later, collecting a Ryan Collins feed and one-timing it past a sprawling Bourgoine to put Cape Elizabeth back in front before the traveling fans could blink.

The Capers would take a tripping penalty with 4:07 to go, with captain Phil Tarling whistled for a tripping infraction. Despite a valiant effort the Capers kill fell just short, with winger Jackson Williams darting into the slot and whipping a backhand over Haber's shoulders to send the home fans into a frenzy and knot the game at 4.

The Capers would earn their first power play of the game with 2:09 to play but were unable to create any chances, send the game to overtime for the first time this year tied at 4-4. 

The Capers wasted no time putting Greely to the sword. With just 2 minutes played in the extra frame, Alex Glidden potted his fourth of the night to send the Cape faithful home happy. After Glidden had cycled the puck to Phil Tarling, Tarling found his linemate in Collins, who whipped a feed to Glidden on the back door. Glidden calmly settled the puck and slid a backhander past Bourgoine, sparking a jubilant eruption from the Cape bench. It was the Capers third straight win to start the young season.

The Capers next play on Tuesday at 4:00, when they head to Kent's Hill to take on Maranacook (0-2-0). The Capers can next be seen at home on December 28th, when Class B rival Brunswick pays a visit to the Troubh Arena at 4:10 p.m.

NOTES: Haber's 40 saves marks a new career high...Bourgoine made 22 in the losing effort...Greely went 2-for-3 on the power play, with the Capers going o-for-1. 
If opening the season at Gorham for the second straight season felt like a bit of deja vu for the Capers, the result did not. The Capers outshot the Rams 28-9 en route to a 3-1 season-opening victory, in stark contrast to the 4-1 defeat suffered on opening night just a year ago.

Alex Glidden opened the scoring 3:33 into the first period, finding space upstairs over Gorham goaltender Garrett Babineau's shoulder. Phil Tarling registered the lone assist on the play. Nearly 10 minutes of play later and Glidden would strike again, this time burying a rebound over a sprawling Babineau after Derek Allen had created havoc in front of the Rams cage. Gus Frankwicz added his first point of the season with the secondary assist.

Despite a large edge in shots the Capers could not pull away, with Mello turned aside a massive breakaway attempt from Nick Gray in the second period to  keep the lead at two. Gorham would finally break through just :19 into the third period after senior defenseman Justin Richards joined the rush and opened the scoring for the home side, with his cross-crease pass deflected past Mello by his own teammate to trim the Cape lead to 2-1. 

After scoring the own goal the Capers steadily closed things out, with Tarling providing the insurance off of a face off. Senior forward Ryan Collins would win the puck back to Tarling, who darted through the slot and fired past Babineau to give Cape a 3-1 lead just three seconds into their third power play opportunity. Despite pulling the goaltender in the final moments and having a power play in the final three minutes the Rams could not create the chances necessary, with a composed Cape Elizabeth effort closing things out for a 3-1 victory.

The Capers next test comes Thursday, December 14th vs. St. Dominic's Academy. Puck will drop at 5:00 p.m. at Troubh Ice Arena in Portland.


The Capers outshot Gorham 28-9...Garrett Mello made his third career start and his first opening night start--he is 3-0-0 on his career...Cape Elizabeth went 1-for-3 on the power play, killing both Gorham penalties...The Capers have now won 2 of their last 3 trips to Gorham and three of their last four overall against the Rams...the two teams will meet on the final day of the regular season, Febuary 22nd at Troubh Ice Arena.
The Capers announced a trio of scheduling changes Thursday, including the addition of a Christmas tournament game. The first change is a minor one, seeing the team's home opener moved from 6:00 to 5:00 on Thursday, December 14th against St. Dom's. The game is still being played at Troubh Ice Arena.

The Capers have also moved their December 28th contest against Gardiner to Wedneday, January 10th at 8:00 p.m. This will allow the Capers to participate in Yarmouth High School's Christmas tournament, the first time the Capers will have participated in a holiday tournament since 2011. 

The additional game will be played on Wednesday, December 27th at 12:00 p.m. The game will be played at NYA with opponent to be announced.

For the complete 2017-2018 Cape Elizabeth schedule, click here. 
The Cape Elizabeth Capers concluded their preseason schedule with a thrilling 3-2 shootout victory over Hebron Academy Varsity B on Wednesday evening at Robinson Arena in Hebron.

The Capers found themselves in an early hole, with Hebron's Dylan Leclair opening the scoring just under four minutes into the contest. The Capers had several chances to draw level in the first period, including a sensational between-the-legs shot from Gus Frankwicz in tight, but could not equalize before the Lumberjacks doubled their advantage in the waning minutes of the period. Alex Romano flew down the left wing and whipped a perfect pass to Sebastian Gringas, who eluded Cape starter Garrett Mello and tucked the puck into a gaping cage for a 2-0 lead.

The Capers would produce a fantastic second period but could not find the back of the net despite constant pressure in the Hebron zone and outshooting the hosts 9-5 in the middle frame. 

The Capers would finally beat Hebron goalkeeper Emmett Grover 1:19 into the third period when defenseman Derek Allen found himself alone on the Lumberjacks doorstep just seconds after the Capers carry over power play had expired. Junior forward Alex Glidden would spot Allen, who collected the puck on his forehand before spinning around and unleashing a backhander to bring the Capers to within 1.

With just inside five minutes to play, junior forward Phil Tarling would level the score at 2 and complete the valiant fightback. Tarling would steal the puck just inside the Hebron blue line before dancing in and slipping a backhander through Grover for his third goal in two preseason games. Despite many chances in both directions, including a Hebron power play with just under three minutes to go, neither team was able to break the deadlock and the teams headed to a five minute overtime period.

The teams traded chances in overtime, with the best coming from Capers forward Matt Laughlin's breakaway that Grover thwarted. Neither team was able to break through and the teams headed for a shootout. The shootout is not standard procedure for regular season games but it gave the Capers a thrilling conclusion to their preseason. Gus Frankwicz and Gavin Simopoulos scored on attempts for the Capers, with goaltender Peter Haber concluding his fine night stopping 2 of 3 Lumberjacks in the skills competition.

The Capers now turn their focus to their regular season opener, which comes on Saturday, December 9th, against Gorham. The puck drops between the two Class B rivals at 7:50 at the University of Southern Maine Ice Arena.

It was the first win for the Capers in three all-time tries against Hebron...The Capers outshot the Lumberjacks 31-21...The Capers will face Gorham on Saturday, whom they split the 2016-2017 with at one game a piece...the Capers went 0 for 3 on the power play and killed both penalties taken.