It was a much-needed performance from the Cape Elizabeth Capers on Saturday night as they turned in a complete performance en route to a 4-1 victory over host Brunswick. The Capers were looking to get back on the winning track after seeing a 1-4-2 run over their last 7 games, scoring just 13 goals over that stretch.

The Capers would come out flying in the first period, a continuation of an excellent performance put forth against Cheverus on Thursday night. Despite relentless first period pressure the Capers were unable to break through until the 11:13 mark of the first frame. Junior Eli Babcock's shot was redirected in by sophomore Alex Glidden to give the Capers a 1-0 lead on a power play tally.

The lead was short-lived, however, as Brunswick's Matt Deveaux was left unmarked in the Cape Elizabeth slot where he rifled a wrist shot past Cape goalkeeper Grant Rusk to knot the game at 1-1 with :30 remaining in the period. The teams head into intermission even despite Cape's 11-4 advantage in shots on goal.

The Capers would then receive a bit of good fortune in the second period, a break they have been longing for. Just after a Brunswick penalty had expired, Babcock rifled a shot from the point which took a wicked defenseman off of a Brunswick skate and past Brunswick keeper Riley Kirk to put Cape in front to stay at 2-1. Glidden notched an assist on the play.

The Capers had taken a 2-1 lead into the third period against Brunswick a mere 12 days before against Brunswick only to see the Dragons hold on for a 2-2 tie but on Saturday history would not repeat itself. The Capers came storming out of the gates in the third, with junior defenseman Jeb Boeschenstein marking his return to the line-up with a brilliant goal just 2:22 into the third. After holding the puck in at the offensive blue line, Boeschenstein weaved through the Brunswick defense before slipping a backhander over the shoulder of Kirk to push Cape's lead to 3-1. Carter Brock would add the only assist on the play.

Senior Matt Riggle would finish the scoring for the Capers with just under 10 minutes to play, slotting home a brilliant cross-crease pass from freshman Phil Tarling. Ben Ekedahl would pick up the secondary assist. The Capers would grind out the remaining 9:55 for a pivotal 4-1 win.

The Capers do not play again until Saturday, January 23rd when they take on storied rival Greely. The puck drops at 5:50 p.m. at Troubh Ice Arena in Portland.

GAME NOTES: The Capers improved to 4-4-2 with the win. Cape Elizabeth went 1-for-3 on the power play while Brunswick was unable to score on two opportunities. Brunswick fell to 5-4-1 in defeat. Riggle and Glidden's goals keep them tied for the team lead with 5 a piece. Cape Elizabeth outshot Brunswick by a final count of 29-21. The Capers are 4-0-0 when scoring 3 or more goals and are 0-4-2 when they fail to to do so.

Comments

04/22/2016 7:31am

Top brunswick team is very good and they played all game. It's very necessary to play as a team that will increase the team spirit.

03/06/2017 8:07am

I'd like to congratulate you, players of Cape Elizabeth Capers, for doing such a great job. I've seen you grown as a man and as a proud member of this team. You had us breathless for the entire game and it was heart racing. Brunswick is undoubtedly good in the play as well. You had employed effective playing techniques I had never seen before. Keep your passion burning and stay humble! I admire your hearts and characters. Thank you and good luck for your next game!

03/09/2017 6:10am

This is one of my favorite sports wherein, there's no rules in tackling an opponent. Hockey is one of the sports that are not free from harm. You will suffer broken bones, cracked teeth, and broken ankles. I really don't know why players still love this game after all of that. Maybe it is totally about the passion and the honor of the game.

I just saw a hockey helmet in a thrift shop and I was like "What do I do with these? I don't play hockey." Then I thought maybe it will be a good sport to learn. The only problem is I am too scared. I think my son will like it because hockey looks like a black olive and he loves making black olive on clay. He makes giant black olives. I wish you can see it.

07/31/2017 3:08am

I agree with you. I watched this game last year and Brunswick 's team really is something. You should train harder to be a better team. It is just a matter of practice and perseverance because you guys have the talent. I can't wait to watch your next game! I will be waiting!

01/29/2017 4:01am

This holds unique ramifications for the land-to-lodging improvement speculator, a significant number of whom apply elective venture assets to property reserves. While building may have all the earmarks of being solid today, there should be noteworthy development of new homes at a quickened rate just to take care of fundamental demand.

06/22/2017 8:26pm

Wah they play great hockey. This hockey game is very popular in the UK, and they have their own club for this hockey. Children love to play hockey if they have many friends and play together. There are some children choose to play outside than they play at home. Playing out is better for their development because they can explore all their imaginations. I have information for outdoor games, not just hockey but also a goal to play ball on your yard. It's very fun is not it? Please visit this site www.debuitenspeelshop.nl to get more information.

Comments are closed.