Exhale--it's over.

The Cape Elizabeth Capers and Greely Rangers played out one of the most enthralling encounters in recent memory on Saturday night in front of a packed house at Family Ice Center in Falmouth. In stark contrast to recent encounters between the two sides, caution was thrown to the wind in a 9-goal thriller that was not determined until 2:00 into overtime, when Alex Glidden slid home a cross-crease feed from Ryan Collins to give the Capers their third consecutive win to start the regular season.

The Capers started fast, with Alex Glidden opening the scoring just 3:44 into the contest. After a battle in the corner, Glidden emerged with the puck and lifted a backhand over Greely goaltender Kouston Bourgoine for his fifth goal of the season and a fast 1-0 advantage for the visitors.

Greely, playing their first game of the season after a Tuesday snow-out, would answer quickly. Just over 3 minutes later center Jake McDonald would bury a Matt Kramlich feed past Capers goalie Peter Haber to knot the score at 1. The power play goal was the first the Capers had allowed in the 2017-18 season. The same combination would click again just under 4 minutes later, with Kramlich dancing through the Cape defence before MacDonald swept the rebound past Haber to push the Rangers in front by a 2-1 margin after the first period.

The teams would trade chances throughout the second period before the Rangers doubled their lead, this time with forward Andy Moore depositing a Peter Lattanzi pass with just over 6 minutes to go in the middle frame. Matt Dubbert would pick up the secondary assist on the play.

The Capers seemed down and out as time ticked away in the second period before the visiting side showed signs of life. Alex Glidden would notch his second goal of the night with 3:44 to play in the second. After a face-off win, defenseman Derek Allen forced a shot through the Greely defense, with Glidden waiting to bang in the rebound and cut the lead to 3-2.

It had already been a whirlwind 30 minutes of hockey--but the final 15 would prove to be some of the most memorable in recent Cape/Greely history. With 10:15 to play, Cape's Jack-Roy Becker and Greely's Owen O'Connoll became entangled after a whistle, with shoving ensuing and a crowd gathering. Both received matching penalties for roughing, with Cape's Gus Frankwicz taking an additional twelve minutes in penalties for unsportsmanlike conduct. In the aftermath the rivalry jolted back into action, harkening back to the memorable Cape Elizabeth and Greely encounters from the mid-2000s.

Cape Elizabeth killed off the ensuing power play and then turned the momentum back on their side. After Jackson Woods made a fantastic breakout pass, Matt Laughlin streaked down the wing before pulling up and whipping a pass to senior forward Sean Agrodnia, who quickly redirected the feed through Bourgoine's legs and tied the score at 3. Not to be out done, Glidden would complete his hat trick just :23 later, collecting a Ryan Collins feed and one-timing it past a sprawling Bourgoine to put Cape Elizabeth back in front before the traveling fans could blink.

The Capers would take a tripping penalty with 4:07 to go, with captain Phil Tarling whistled for a tripping infraction. Despite a valiant effort the Capers kill fell just short, with winger Jackson Williams darting into the slot and whipping a backhand over Haber's shoulders to send the home fans into a frenzy and knot the game at 4.

The Capers would earn their first power play of the game with 2:09 to play but were unable to create any chances, send the game to overtime for the first time this year tied at 4-4. 

The Capers wasted no time putting Greely to the sword. With just 2 minutes played in the extra frame, Alex Glidden potted his fourth of the night to send the Cape faithful home happy. After Glidden had cycled the puck to Phil Tarling, Tarling found his linemate in Collins, who whipped a feed to Glidden on the back door. Glidden calmly settled the puck and slid a backhander past Bourgoine, sparking a jubilant eruption from the Cape bench. It was the Capers third straight win to start the young season.

The Capers next play on Tuesday at 4:00, when they head to Kent's Hill to take on Maranacook (0-2-0). The Capers can next be seen at home on December 28th, when Class B rival Brunswick pays a visit to the Troubh Arena at 4:10 p.m.

NOTES: Haber's 40 saves marks a new career high...Bourgoine made 22 in the losing effort...Greely went 2-for-3 on the power play, with the Capers going o-for-1. 


Comments are closed.